Saturday 10 October 2015

Victorian sleigh ride - Gold 124

Finally, I can share pics of one of this year`s favourite projects - I luv, love, LOVED working on this one! I didn`t know too much about it (which, however, didn`t stop me from doing a 15-minute happy dance as soon as I saw it): when it arrived, the sheet only said `Porterfield` and I have to admit, that didn`t mean a thing to me. Since then, I have googled it/them and it turns out, they`re an American company with various licensed artists and I can`t wait to have a little free time to browse their selection (here) because I like what I see at first blink, especially the landscapes - yumm!
So here is Canadian painter Richard de Wolfe`s sleigh ride in its beautiful frame:


I love this quote from the artist (p. 32 of Cross Stitch Gold, 124): "Although I`m not a stitcher myself, I can certainly appreciate the skill involved, and the joy that must come from creating a beautiful picture using just a needle, some fabric and thread. How satisfying to take a step back and admire the finished result." Oh-ho-ho, yes! Satisfying, indeed. I think I like this guy! :D
Anyway, here are my progress photos, taken NOT every 5 hours, as usual, but rather at the end of each working day. I can`t remember now why I was a bit pushed for time with this one... I think we were about to go on holiday...? Something like that. And I also remember feeling a bit frustrated for not being able to complete it 100% because I was told to leave the faces blank - I think the editor(s) wanted to see it first and then decide whether to use 1 or 2 strands for the facial features. In the end, they opted for tiny stitches for they eyes and lips, which I totally agree with: I think French knots, even with just 1 strand, would have made the passengers look scared, lol. Anyway, if they look a bit ghostly in my last pic, it is because of this.
Today will be the day btw when I (hopefully) finish a BAP for Gold that I started almost 2 months ago... well, if not today, then defo this weekend! ;) Wish me luck, peeps - I can`t wait to `step back and admire the finished result` and also to be able to show it to you... maybe around next February...? :D Happy stitching!

7 hours

14 hours

21 hours

29 hours

38 hours

44 hours

51 hours

59 hours

73 hours

87 hours - finished! (minus faces, that is) ;)

2 comments:

  1. Beautiful stitching as always, Laura! What an extensive project... It seems the editors put in tiny French Knots after all (I had to squint to determine)... Best of luck with the BAP - may it be published soon. :)
    Happy stitching

    ReplyDelete