Monday 29 August 2011

Kellie Castle

This is for the benefit of my dear friend Orsi in Budapest, whose internet connection was so dismal today that after about half an hour of struggling, we had to give up on our attempt at Skype for the day, after concluding that we both sounded like crazed chipmunks on helium.
So, as I was trying to tell her today, there`s this lovely castle near where I live, called Kellie Castle.

Kellie Castle and Gardens, near Pittenweem, Fife
(for more information, please visit the National Trust
for Scotland`s website on www.nts.org.uk) 
A few weeks ago they had an open day and I went to sign up as a volunteer. Since I have always been interested in history, plus I love castles of all shapes and sizes, I thought I could work there as a guide (for which, believe it or not, I was trained back in the early nineties... my goodness, that was 20 years ago! No wonder, then, that this morning I discovered two more grey hairs on my temples!).
Anyway, back to the castle. While I was there, I also acquired the official NTS brochure, in which I found part of the following drawing:

Sir Robert Lorimer`s drawing of 4 elevations of Kellie Castle from 1887

When I got home, the businesswoman in me (this was a joke, by the way - there`s no such thing, unfortunately...) started to wonder how I could combine my being undeniably smitten by this place with my love for cross stitch, preferably in a way that would yield some financial benefit to boot. So I grabbed my pencil and some graph paper, and designed a pattern that was just the right size to fit into one of the plastic coasters I bought the other day on Ebay (I`m telling you, this hobby so far has just cost me with very little, almost non-existent return!). Anyway, here`s the result:

So now all I have to do is take it up to the castle and ask them if they want to order a few dozen of these unique coasters... Wish me luck because if I could FINALLY make some money out of my hobby, I could maybe buy a decent camera (which I haven`t had since Gregory sat on my beloved digital Fuji camera about 5 months ago), so I wouldn`t have to use hubby`s poky wee number that only takes shady, blurry pictures like this one above...

No comments:

Post a Comment