Tuesday 31 July 2018

penguins and fairies - Cross Stitch Crazy 246

This week issue 246 of Cross Stitch Crazy hits the UK shops and it`s a double whammy for me: I stitched not only the free gift that comes with the mag but a gorgeous fairy pic inside it too... ooh, and I`ve just spotted that it`s on the cover as well (how observant am I? Looked at it a dozen times but only saw the fairy when I took this photo 😂):


Oooh, love the autumn colours on those cards... and that Northern Lights pic is stunning! #easilydistracted Anyway, first up, the cover kit. It`s a sweet little skating penguin designed by Helz Cuppleditch:


Isn`t he the cutest? 😃 With his wings behind his back, he reminds me of The Skating Minister (even though the Reverend crosses his arms in front of him, but the impression of the casual gliding on ice is the same). 😊 And he - the penguin, not the Reverend Robert Walker - got a very nice aperture card as a finishing touch:


Next up: the fairies. I`m not that much into fantasy stuff but even I have to admit that this is a gorgeous picture. The original artwork of Margaret Tarrant, Lady`s Slipper Fairy (1933), was expertly converted into a cross stitch chart by Fiona Baker; usually, stitchers don`t exactly look froward to doing the backstitch but on this piece, I couldn`t wait to get to that stage. The details on the hands and faces are so minute - just look how a few well-placed stitches transform this pasty blotch (sorry, fairy!) into a face with expressive features! And look at these hands! Wow! 😮



Hehe, that smiling face on the wing always cracks me up btw: without the backstitch, it looks like a kawaii fairy wing. 😂 And here`s the whole picture framed - I love it and hope you like it too. 😊 Happy stitching!


Addendum: the kind words of Malgorzata in the comments below reminded me of this photo I`d taken when the fairy project arrived with all these beautiful skeins of thread, simply because I found them stunning - how gorgeous are these autumn colours? 😍😍😍




4 comments:

  1. When I saw the fairy picture close up, I wondered what she was talking about to that boy. She looks like her feet are sore. :) Love the finish!
    Reverend Penguin looks very distinguished. ;)
    I subscribed to Cross Stitch Gold a few weeks ago and can't wait for the first issue - hopefully, I will see your stitching close up.
    Happy stitching!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha, you timed your subscription well - my next one will be in issue 151, out on 23 Oct 😉

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wspaniałe jesienne kolory,piękna wróżka.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dzięki 😊 And funny you should mention, I loved the colours too, so much so that I took a photo of the skeins before I started stitching, I found them so beautiful 😊

    ReplyDelete