Thursday 21 May 2015

The World of Cross Stitching 230 - Fathers` Day cards

Lol, please don`t ask about the granny square! Its growth can be measured in mm, rather than cm, since my last post. As always, Life has happened: am stitching 3 projects simultaneously, my own cushion idea and two commissions. The plan is to crochet at night, as a wind-down, but I`m at that early stage with the stitching when I do not dare to put it down, I just keep going until I fall asleep, because I don`t know how long each`ll take. Plus, with my usual acute perception of time - i.e. I never have any idea what day of the week, etc. it is -, the deadlines are not something tangible (yet) either, just random numbers sometime in the future. I was surprised the other day, when the librarian stamped the books and the return date is now in June - how did that happen? It was Christmas only a few weeks ago...? (By the way, am working on lovely Xmas pieces just now for the magazines, and being 6 months out of sync also doesn`t help someone as woolly-headed as me when it comes to Time - I usually tell what day it is by watching which bins the neighbours put out). #calendarbyrecycling
Anyway, I thought I`d better grab this opportunity to blog for a few minutes before the school run, since the latest issue of WOCS hits the shops today, and in it are the lovely Lucie Heaton cards I stitched. Actually, they`re not all cards - it was a great project to work on because all 4 classic car pics were of different sizes: a card, a bookmark, and two larger pieces. I started with the largest one of the lot (my DH would be shouting the name of this car now but he`s away to work) - shall I call it an Aston Martin DBXZ85874HKL? Whatever. Here it is:
Hehe, probably it`s a Jaguar. Anyway, here`s the whole lot of them together:

And this is how they`ve been made up in the magazine:


Well, the card and the bookmark were quite obvious, but I was wondering what they`d make with the other two - a glasses case and an iPad cover! I love this set, I think it looks awesome - as long as you don`t grab your tablet with gardening gloves or shove your glasses case in your dirty overalls pocket... but as hard as it is to find the suitable stitchy project for the men in our lives, I think these vintage cars are perfect. I remember thinking at the time I was stitching these, seeing Hubby`s eyes getting a bit misty, that I might stitch this... Aston-Jaguar-MG GT5XYZ (?) for him for Father`s Day - ha! Personal project?? When will I ever learn? ;)
However, on a more positive note: do you remember George, my cuddly knitted hippo?
You can read his story here, where I also promised to keep y`all posted: so the latest info is that George has moved to Ireland - the lady who`d originally commissioned him never got back to me, but last week a sweet Irishman bought George for his girlfriend - and, I hope, they all lived happily ever after! :D Happy stitching, everyone!

5 comments:

  1. Wow, you have taken over the magazine world just lately! I do wish the mags would credit the stitcher properly like JCS does. All it needs is a little line of type by the side of the photo.
    Your craft day sounds like fun too (I have just read three of your posts in one go). It's nice to try different things sometimes or even just watch other people doing it. There used to be a lady on our train who made lace, that was fun to watch.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gosh, I can`t even imagine making lace on terra firma, let alone negotiating hundreds of bobbins on a moving train! :O As for crediting the stitcher, it`d be interesting to know why customs have changed over the years: I`ve got some old (very old!) copies of Cross Stitcher, I think, where there used to be even a "Beat the stitcher" challenge, with X.Y. saying it took them 8 hours 17 minutes (?!?) to stitch a certain piece... OK, I kinda see why they stopped doing that, it`s a bit funny to try to turn cross stitch into a race, lol. But these days the only mag to credit the stitcher is Crazy, and, depending on the size of the project, Collection. Hence my blog posts - I credit myself, hehe! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely stitching, I was just thinking of making these for my DH..But he is more into guitars, drums and rock-n-roll. Still, these are so... detailed! Congratulations on yet another publication. :) And the news about George - wonderful! He will be happy with his new family.
    Happy stitching!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Katya - if I see something rock`n`roll related, I`ll give you a shout! I`m selling loads of my old mags just now and e.g. Crazy sometimes has rock-themed design libraries, etc. so if I come across something like that, I`ll think of you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete